Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Veteran's Day

For me, Veteran’s day takes on a whole new meaning now that I’m engaged to a Soldier. Yes, prior to meeting Seth I always admired and had the utmost respect for those serving in the military, but I think it’s different when you’re marrying one. Everything hits more “close to home.”

I have more respect than ever for service members now.

I have a better understanding of what they do. (I understand what the spouses and family members back home go through too).

My heart swells with pride and I get teary eyed when I hear the Pledge of Allegiance and the National Anthem.
It makes me appreciate my freedom more than ever.
I get so excited when I see someone wearing ACU's, I just want to hug them. (I think it'll make me feel closer to Seth).
Marrying a soldier makes everything a lot more special…the time you spend together, the holiday’s spent together, the times you get to talk. We talk on the phone an average of 3-4 times per week and we’ve only g-cammed twice in 8 months. Do you know how incredibly excited I got during those 2 times we g-cammed? They were the middle of the night and lasted less than 5 minutes each time, but I was so thankful that I was able to see his face, see him, and see that, yes, he is real, and we do have more than just a phone relationship.
He makes me appreciate the little things in life, the things that he sacrifices, for the sake of American’s that he doesn’t even know.
Below is a part of the email I sent him this morning:
I wanted to tell you Happy Veteran's day and how proud of you I am. You're a GREAT soldier, A Great American and a Great fiancé. (You'll be a great dad too, but I'll save that for Father's Day). I love that you always put others before you, and are willing to make sacrifices for others... for people you don't even know. I love how safe you make me feel, and how when we're together, I'm never scared, because I know you'll take care of me. I love the overwhelming sense of pride I have for you when I hear the National Anthem. I love how humble you are when people tell you thanks for your service. I love how you set people to very high standards, and you set yourself to a very high standard as well. I love your bravery and your courage to make America a better and safer place. I love your motivation to be a better person, and a better soldier. I love you so very much and I cannot wait to marry you and to call you my husband.

I love you babe, and I am so incredibly proud of you. Thank you for your service to our country. And thank you to all the other armed forces, past, present and future, for their service as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment