Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sweet Spiced Nuts - recipe

Like any good military wife/fiance/girlfriend, I bake a lot of stuff to send Seth. I found the following recipe in Food Network Magazine* from a friend. I think it will be a good taste from home, and a little different than the normal cookies I send him.

Sweet Spiced Nuts

Ingredients:
1 large egg white
2/3 cup sugar
Kosher salt
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie** or chai spice blend
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 cups assorted mixed nuts
2 dashes Worcestershire sauce

(aren't my granite counter tops just gorgeous? lets pretend like they are and you said yes)

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 275. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper***
  2. Whisk the egg white with 1 tablespoon water in a large bowl until frothy.
  3. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, the spice blend and cayenne pepper.


  4. Toss the nuts in the egg white mixture, then stir in the sugar-spice mixture and Worcestershire sauce.


  5. Spoon the nuts onto the prepared baking sheet in small clusters and bake until golden, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely then break into pieces.


*The Food Network site has this picture of this recipe, which is completely adorable and I LOVE the waffle cone idea! However, since I'll be sending this in the mail, I will not be putting my baked nuts into cute little cones with cute little ribbons to my soldier. (Thanksgiving and Christmas though...you bet I'm doing this!!!)

**Note: if you suddenly find yourself sans pumpkin pie spice (like me), here's a quick little recipe that makes a lot of it:
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Stir all spices together. Store in a glass container.

***Parchment paper is different from wax paper. I learned that the hard way this weekend. Not sure why I thought they were the same, but they definitely aren't. I wasted the whole first batch because every single nut had wax paper stuck to it. I don't have any parchment paper, so I just used some non-stick cooking spray on a cookie sheet and that worked very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment