Sweet Spiced Nuts
1 large egg white
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie** or chai spice blend
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 cups assorted mixed nuts
2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the oven to 275. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper***
- Whisk the egg white with 1 tablespoon water in a large bowl until frothy.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, the spice blend and cayenne pepper.
- Toss the nuts in the egg white mixture, then stir in the sugar-spice mixture and Worcestershire sauce.
- Spoon the nuts onto the prepared baking sheet in small clusters and bake until golden, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely then break into pieces.
*The Food Network site has this picture of this recipe, which is completely adorable and I LOVE the waffle cone idea! However, since I'll be sending this in the mail, I will not be putting my baked nuts into cute little cones with cute little ribbons to my soldier. (Thanksgiving and Christmas though...you bet I'm doing this!!!)
**Note: if you suddenly find yourself sans pumpkin pie spice (like me), here's a quick little recipe that makes a lot of it:
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Stir all spices together. Store in a glass container.
***Parchment paper is different from wax paper. I learned that the hard way this weekend. Not sure why I thought they were the same, but they definitely aren't. I wasted the whole first batch because every single nut had wax paper stuck to it. I don't have any parchment paper, so I just used some non-stick cooking spray on a cookie sheet and that worked very well.