Friday, December 17, 2010

MilSpouse Friday Fill-In #14

Number 14?!? Whoadang! Head on over to Wife of a Sailor to link up!!

  1. What is the best gift you have ever received or given? (from Jessica Lynn Writes)

    I like to think the best gift I’ve ever given to Seth is the gift I sent him before he deployed. I’ve had a blankie (it’s actually a pillow case) since I was a baby. I can’t live without it, even now, at 26 years old. He’s always made fun of me and my blankie, but that doesn’t stop me from using it. It traveled with me to Germany (yes in my carry-on. If that plane was going down over the ocean, I was dying with my blankie) and around Germany with him. It’s been to Alaska and back, twice, all around Michigan and across the US a few times. It’s been on business trips, camping trips, sleepovers. Basically, that blankie is my life. I wanted to give him something small and meaningful when he deployed, something he could keep with him. Don't be crazy, I didn't give him my whole blankie. (I’ve never admitted this part to anyone, not even Seth, let alone online!!) So I had a little chat with my blankie. No joke, I honestly did. I talked to it, said it was going to have a little bit of “surgery” but it was for a good reason. I told it that it was going to Afghanistan to help keep Seth safe for a little while. Then I got out my scissors and cut I little square out. Then I had the little square and then a very lopsided blankie. I took it all to my parent’s house so I could sew it up and make the little square into a little pocket. I like to think that he keeps it with him, but I really don’t know if he does. The best gift I’ve ever received was the promise ring that Seth gave me shortly before he to PCS’d to Germany. It was so sweet. We were in bed and he pulled it out and slipped it on my finger. He said it wasn’t an engagement ring, it was just a little present before he went to Germany. That’s a long enough answer, right?

  2. Do you celebrate holidays differently when your loved one is deployed/gone or do you keep tradition? (from The Albrecht Squad)

    This is our 3rd Christmas as a couple, but our first apart. I tried my hardest to make it seem Christmasy in Afghanistan for him. I sent him three boxes of goodies/presents and a box of lights for a little decoration. He asked for me not to send a tree, and I agreed to this, but I still wish I could have. I sent him a stocking with more stuff, and I have another stocking at home for when we celebrate Christmas together when he’s home on leave. I’ll be spending the morning at my parents house, going to his parents house to be with them while they open gifts and then I’ll be going back to my parents for Christmas dinner. (This is pretty similar to what we would have done if he were home…except we’d wake up in the apartment, do our Christmas together, go to his family’s house, and then to my family’s house).

  3. If you celebrate Christmas, do you put an angel, star or something else on the top of your tree?

    Ha – we have a little snowman for our tree topper. He has a name even: Terry the Snowman. We acquired it in Erie, PA, when we were driving home on our first road trip together from NY to MI for the holidays. We stopped at a wings place that he always used to stop at when he’d drive home/back. He can do those little vending machine with the claws really well. I have SO many stuffed animals and other random things from those machines from him. He got us a little snowman and when we got in the car he said his name was Terry. I don’t remember how it came about to be our tree topper (he probably put it up on the top of the tree once it was set up because I’m sure he didn’t like my girly tree-topper prior to him. Then he probably proclaimed Terry was our tree topper). However, Terry is in a cold, lonely storage unit in Germany right now, so I have to go purchase a new one, which I’ll be doing tonight.

  4. What are your three favorite websites?

    Facebook
    Allrecipes
    Wunderground weather
    . I always check the weather where Seth is at they always have amazing pictures from all over the world, WunderPhotos they’re called. I can spend an unlimited amount of time just looking at picture after picture. Like this picture from Africa. So pretty! Be sure to check out the other pics in the series...a mama and baby zebra and rhinos playing in the mud!!!!

  5. On your man do you prefer… boxers, briefs or boxer briefs? Or commando? (yeah, I’m starting to get desperate for questions!)

    I love boxer brief trunks. They show off his junk nicely. It’s not really “junk” but you know what I mean. They’re sexy.


2 comments:

  1. I love that you have a snowman as your tree topper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same answer for #5, and basically for the same reason!

    ReplyDelete