Monday, May 16, 2011

No brides were harmed in the dress fitting

On Saturday, I had my first dress fitting. I managed to pass out and collapse during it. Pretty awesome, right?! Apparently it's common.

The seamstress was yelling at me to stand still and not move. She put a rose up on the wall for me to stare at. I was standing there and thinking quietly. I even thought how I could probably easily get myself worked up for no reason at all, really. Then I pushed that thought away and was standing very still while she pinned the bottom of my dress so she can later hem it. The seamstress yelled at me, "This is the hem on YOUR dress. If you want it to look nice, you NEED TO NOT MOVE." (Ok lady, dang). After maybe about 20 minutes, I started to get really hot and felt like I was going to throw up. (I've passed out before, but I didn't want to acknowledge that I felt it happening again). Then the room started to get dizzy and I called my mom over. I said, "I'm really dizzy." That's the last thing I remember. The next thing I know, I'm down on the floor, kneeling, and my arms are stretched out and my mom's holding one, the seamstress is holding the other, they're saying my name and smacking my cheeks. Then employees started rushing over to me, they put a cold, wet rag on the back of my neck, fanned me down, gave me a bunch of water. They wouldn't let me get up for a while, but I felt completely fine.

I later asked my mom how long I was out for and she said just a few seconds, but it seemed like a long time. I asked her if she got any pictures of me and why didn't she pose me in positions that looked like I broke my leg or something. It would have been hilarious!!

The fitting room is filled with mirrors, no windows and no air circulation. The seamstress asked if my knees had been locked (probably, I don't really know, but I was standing completely still for at least 20 minutes not moving AT ALL) and said that it's common to lock your knees, and after a long period of time, you pass out. She said that about 1 in 20 brides pass out during their dress fitting. (Not going to lie, I was a little disappointed to not be the first do do this. Just add my name to the list, I guess). I've heard before to not lock your knees during your wedding ceremony, but never for the dress fitting. So take warning, other brides :) I have pictures of the cold, wet rag on my neck (you know, as proof that I passed out, since my mom failed to get pictures of me!) but I can't put them on here, because Seth can't see my dress.

In other news, I got Patrick on Saturday!!! He is the cutest little puppy ever!!!And SO sweet and such a little lovebug!! The owners met me at the bridal shop and we did the exchange there in the parking lot. Then I promptly went to Petco and spent a bunch of money getting things for him. It was cold and rainy so I had Patrick wrapped up in a jacket from the car. He was so cute all cuddled up and everyone wanted to pet him!!! He threw up on the jacket when we were checking out. He is doing really well at my parent's house and I spent the night with him on Saturday. He slept in his crate for about an hour then started to cry a little bit so I brought him to bed with me. He curled up right next to me (he didn't pee in the bed either!!!) and slept soundly all night long. He had a little chew toy bone thingy on the bed and he played with that in the morning and rolled around in the bed and loved his little belly being scratched. I'm so madly in love with him already!! I can't wait until Seth comes home to meet him!!!

Two months exactly till the wedding!!

2 comments:

  1. I had never heard of a bride passing out during the fitting. Good to know...glad I didn't! My seamstress was extremely nice and since I ordered a custom length dress I didn't have to wait for her to hem the bottom. Hopefully you won't pass out next time!

    Do we get to see picture of Patrick? I love seeing puppy cuteness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! I've never passed out before, but I came REALLY close once while donating plasma. I felt the same way, really hot, nauseous, and dizzy. They need to get a window in there or something!

    It makes for a good story, though :)

    ReplyDelete