Sunday, March 13, 2011

Potato Leek Soup



While my sister was home, we made Potato Leek Soup from a cookbook I got her for Christmas. I've had potato soup before, but not potato leek soup and OMG it was delicious. It was relatively healthy too. I've been meaning to share this recipe for a while. I made some tonight and while it's cooling, here is the recipe. And when it's cool enough to eat, I'm going to sit down and watch Coming Home from Lifetime. I'm prepared with a box of tissues, which I've been told are a necessity.

Without further ado, here is the recipe for Potato Leek Soup

Ingredients
2 TBSP butter (I used EVOO though)
3 medium leeks
5 cups chicken broth
3 medium potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes

Directions
  1. In a large sauce pan, melt butter EVOO over medium heat. Cut the leeks into 1 inch pieces. Add to pan and stir to coat. Cover and let cook until softened - about 8 to 10 minutes.
  2. In a medium sauce pan, bring broth to a simmer over medium heat. Bring broth to a simmer over medium heat. Keep it hot, but don't let it boil. (I also cut up a few of the green part on the leeks and let them simmer and let their flavor seep into the chicken broth).
  3. Add potatoes to leeks and pour hot broth over the leeks and potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
  4. Transfer to food processor and puree until smooth. Return to pot and place on low heat. It should be smooth. Add water if necessary.

    (I don't technically have a food processor, but I do have a smoothie maker and that worked just as well. My sister and I may or may not have put this soup into a smoothie glass and we may or may not have eaten it like that. Either way, it worked just as well. Tonight though, I was not in the mood to dig out my wanna be food processor, so I used a potato masher instead. It's a little lumpy, but it all tastes the same).
Enjoy!!!


Oh, and here is the nutritional value. Following the recipe makes 4 servings.
190 calories
7 g fat
65 mg sodium

1 comment:

  1. ive never had leaks before but this does look yummy!

    ReplyDelete